Veggie Burger Chili
Author: Surround Fitness
- Serves: 24
- Serving size: 1 cup
- Calories: 143
- Fat: 3 g
- Carbohydrates: 23 g
- Sugar: 5 g
- Sodium: 392 mg
- Fiber: 8 g
- Protein: 9 g
- Cholesterol: 0
A veggie version of the turkey chili recipe. You can substitute your own pressure-cooked mix of pinto and kidney beans for the canned beans.
- 2 large onions
- 3 peppers (e.g., 2 green, 1 red)
- 1.33 lbs (6 100-gram Boca Burgers) veggie burgers, thawed
- 2 28-oz cans crushed tomatoes in puree
- Cooked pinto and kidney beans:
- 2 16-oz cans pinto beans, drained
- 2 16-oz can kidney beans, drained
- OR 5 cups pressure-cooked bean mix
- 2 fresh hot peppers (Anaheim, cubano, jalapeno)
- ¼ cup minced garlic
- 1 bunch parsley or cilantro or 4 tablespoons dried (e.g, 2 Tblsp. each)
- ~ ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- Seasoning for chopped up burgers (original, using “McCormick” chile powders)
- ½ cup “regular” chili powder
- 2 tablespoons chipotle chili or “hot” chili powder
- 1 ½ tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
- Alternative seasoning (using My Spice chili powders)
- ⅓ cup Guajilo chili powder
- 3 tablespoons chipotle chili powder
- 2 tablespoons cumin (McCormick)
- 1 ½ tablespoons coarse ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt.
- Seasoning for crockpot mix
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- Slice onions and peppers in bite-size pieces (not minced).
- Prepare the burger seasoning mix and dice the hot peppers (flesh only, no seeds). Mince garlic cloves if using fresh garlic. Dice veggie burgers into ½ -inch pieces. Sprinkle burger seasoning mix over burger pieces in a bowl
- Sautee onions and peppers in 2 tblsp. oil. When onions are translucent and peppers are soft, add to tomatoes and drained beans in crockpot (Crockpot can be turned on with tomatoes and beans when sautéing begins. If using dried parsley/cilantro, add it now.
- Add seasoning for crockpot mix to the crockpot.
- Sautee garlic and hot pepper in 2 tblsp oil, then add burgers & seasoning. Stir-fry burger mix ~5 min., mixing well with the seasoning, hot peppers, and garlic, and breaking up burger pieces into smaller bits. Add to the crockpot.
- If using fresh parsley/cilantro, cut leaves from stalks and chop leaves coarsely. Add to crockpot.
- Stir well. Cook on high for 4-6 hours or low for 8 hours.